history

ash wednesday candles

Just before the Civil War, pioneers settled in the area known as Beulah which was two miles south of Winter Garden. The Congregational Methodist Church was established in Beulah. In 1884 the church was renamed the Congregational Church. There was only one song book and no musical instruments at that time. In order for the congregation to worship the Lord in song, the preacher would read one line of a song from the song book and the congregation would sing that line. This was repeated, one line at a time, until the song was finished.

In the early 1890's a public school was built in the Beulah Community. The Methodist families formed a Sunday School using the school house for classes. Here they had music. Once a month, Luther F. Tilden would bring the circuit preacher from Apopka to Beulah to conduct church services. The church building was on a circuit with three other churches.

A building was erected in 1895 on land deeded by Christian Peters and became the Beulah Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The land and building were later sold and the congregation moved to Winter Garden. The relocation was sometime in 1909 or 1910. The first meetings were held under an arbor at Newell and Boyd Streets. The Methodist Episcopal Church; South of Winter Garden was erected around 1910. A year later Rev. A.T. Hind was appointed pastor. The church went from one service per month to full time services under Rev. H.C. Hardin (1921-25). During this time, the land where the Educational Building, Fellowship Hall and the Parsonage stand was purchased.

Ground breaking was held in 1941 for a larger church building and the dedication was held in June 1942 during the morning services. In 1942 the bell from the old church was moved to the new Sanctuary Tower. The old bell was later replaced by a new one purchased in Shingle Creek (near Kissimmee). Under Rev. Berry D. Bourn (1944-46), plans were drawn for the Educational Building, Fellowship Hall and the Chapel. An Aeolian organ, light fixtures and stained art-glass windows were installed in the sanctuary under Rev. Rembert A. Guy (194244). During 1949, a library was established. A new parsonage, located on Tilden Street and Roper Drive, was built in 1972. A preschool and kindergarten was opened September 1978. The Acolyte program began in 1979.

In 1991, under Rev. Dr. E. Dale Harward (1990-1998), an 8:30 a.m. service was added. An assortment of vocal and bell choirs for adults and youth were also started. From 1991 to 1994, church members made needlepoint communion kneeling pads. The Learning Center, our preschool, was established in 1992 and a major refurbishing project was started in that October. The facilities changes were completed in February 1993 and the church centennial was celebrated throughout the year in 1994.

A 9 o'clock Contemporary Service was added in 2002. The medical offices of Dr. Gleason were purchased in 2004 and remodeled into the new Educational wing for the Adult Sunday School classes and Bible studies.

Sunday School Classes were moved and expanded in 2007.  This was also the year of the great office shift. What was once the old parsonage became the new administration building and the church Library moved into the Pastor's old study.  The youth team moved into the old administrative office, as well.

2006 was the beginning of our Community Vacation Bible School. For three years the Community VBS was held in East Winter Garden at the Mildred Dixon Center. Other new ministry opportunities included the introduction of interactive prayer/worship stations during Holy Week.

We now operate a Vacation Bible School every summer. We installed a new church organ in 2013, donating our old organ to another Methodist church.

In March 2015, we will celebrate the 120th anniversary of our 1895 founding. A team is busy at work on the church archives and we look forward to a great celebration. God is good!


FUMChistory

120Years

Check out the West Orange
Times Article about our
120th anniversary
here


 


125 N. Lakeview Ave, Winter Garden, FL 34787  whitebullet   407-656-1135  whitebullet  news@fumcwg.org whitebullet 

youtube button FindUsOnFB

 

Do you have a prayer request? Want to find out more about who we are? Let your visitors easily contact you. Read More
Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from